Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday. Man already? It is isn't it?

Just had a long chat with Debbie and here is the low down:

A. - Dad's lungs are compromised because he has sleep apnea and he is large.

B. - Anatomically, he is a hard person to intubate.

3. - He has had pneumonia twice.

4. - He had a collapsed lung.

E. - The soft tissue in his throat right now is damaged because of all the times they have intubated him for surgery, including surgeries before he was in Chicago.

F. - His vocal cords are damaged.

7.- There is damage from suctioning.

H.- There are a lot of secretions that dad cannot swallow, nor cough up on his own.

Because of all of these reasons, he is a high risk person to extubate. They need to give his throat time to heal and doing the trach will give him this ability. They expect that it will take 4-6 weeks for this to happen.

Dad has been sleeping a lot. They have noticed that he hasn't been moving his right leg at all, even when they ask him to. Debbie thinks she saw it move yesterday. Since he isn't able to talk, its hard to tell where he is mentally. She says that he completely disengages sometimes and refuses to respond or cooperate and then sometimes she will ask him if she is annoying him and he will shake his head yes.

I think we have a long road ahead of us. I mean, he has had two major brain surgeries and he isn't as strong and healthy as he was when all this started. We really need to encourage him to sign up to try again. I might have to do what Mary says and tell him that Jordan and I are taking out the vette and parking it in the street. That will make him move!! (Everyone likes to hit me when I am parked.)

Scott, Coleman and I are going back this weekend, then Scott is going next weekend, then we are going to trade off. Jordan turns the BIG 18 this weekend. I wonder if she will take her birthday money and go buy cigarettes like I did. I was so proud of myself. Lol.

I will update later after the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter