Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26th

Iowa City doesn't have wireless in the rooms at it sucks. The one "family" room they have on the floor is normally filled with rude parents who let their children play games on the only computer and don't tell them to get off when it is very apparent that an adult that actually has something important to do needs to use it. Or crazy people attack me with their canes, but that is a story for another day.

I found the cafeteria has wireless and expensive cold cheeseburgers. I miss Methodist. It is a comparison of eating at Waterfront or Long John Silvers.

They took CSF from his shunt today. They are going to test it to see if there is anything they can do to non-surgically treat the edema. It was a fairly simple procedure that was done in the room. No more invasive than a needle stick. They weren't sure when the results would come back. Soon they should be coming to get him to do the transesophogeal echocardiogram. Sometimes your heart can grow little tumors on it that can cause strokes and aneurysms so that is what that test is for.

The neurologist and the interventional radiologist think we should seriously consider going out of state. There is a doctor in Chicago that had a similar patient that they are considering consulting with. They will forward on the images and chart to the guy before he gets shipped out, so we aren't traipsing around the country for the doctor to say he won't touch him. They assured us they are exploring all avenues here and no one was giving up. But we need to be prepared for surgical intervention that may not have a good outcome.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Rollie ... I met your father in the fall of 1965. I was a freshman at NMWSC in Maryville, Mo. I was only a part of his life for one year but it was a lifetime friendship. We have not kept in touch on a regular basis but I have followed his life through mutual friends and an occasional meeting in DM. You are blessed with his sense of humor and view of life. Grub, as we knew him, helped me on my first night as a DJ on KDLX, the campus radio station, by falling through the ceiling during my show. He was not hurt ... it helped my show ... we laughed so hard it hurt ... I went on to build a public radio station and Grub won the war in Morocco. I have many other tails of why I love the guy but for now just know he is in my thoughts and prayers ... thank you for the bloog ... Please tell your dad I said hello.
    Rollie Stadlman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liza,
    Phil and I are so glad that you started this blog so we can keep up on what is going on with your dad. Please give him our best and let him know that we are thinking of him all the time. You are all in our thoughts actually as this is a very trying time for you all. I can't think of a better person to have in Jim's corner than you, pushing the doctors and everyone else to get the best result for him. Keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter