Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jan. 22nd Part Two

Mediacom ran out of IP addresses so now all my stuff is in french. Coleman tried to explain it to me but I don't speak computer. It's a good thing I can read french so I could log into my blog...:)

They could not do the MRI today because of his shunt. When any magnetic imaging is done to his brain, he has to have the shunt adjusted. They didn't have the means of doing so here. So, he is going by ambulance to Iowa City at 6 am tomorrow. A friend of mine is actually taking him. THANKS DON LUCAS!!!

We have been doing a ton of research on our own and have found some interesting case studies. I have learned a number of things:

The aneurysm may not be completely occluded which is causing the edema. (I don't think that is the case.)

There is something called a "water hammer effect" which means the blood flow pulsing across the aneurysm creates this phenom which causes the edema.

The coil itself can cause hydrocephally and edema.

The aneurysm can have changes in the epithelial tissue that causes edema.

Steroids aren't working because there is no inflammatory marker in the edema that makes anti-inflammatory drugs work. You can check the cerebral spinal fluid for that.

Stimulant drugs may work and have in some cases rather than steroids.

This is a healing process of the aneurysm that can happen as much as 24 moths after the coiling and the symptoms will diminish.

The aneurysm wall changes to protect itself from bursting, and the edema is a trade off.

That is some of the things we have found. So many questions we have for Iowa City. Martha is going up with him in the morning and plans on staying the whole time. I think dad's sister is going Monday and staying a week. Scott and I are playing it by ear. I will make sure I am there for the important meeting with the doctors. I'll probably take Monday off and go up Sunday.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Das was really good tonight and was talking to people.

Jordan just started CNA school and she was saying how easy it was. I told her when I took that and EMT school I didn't think my teachers liked me because I thought it was so easy, I was a smart ass the whole time. Dad said same with him, when the teacher asked him an example of something that can occlude an airway, he said a '57 Chevy.

THATS MY DAD!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter