Saturday, May 30, 2009

Old Post

(This is an old post from a blog I don't ever use anymore, so I thought I would put in on here. This is a great but sad memory I have from last summer when dad was doing really good.)

My dad retired from the Fire Dept in 1993 after joining in 78. He kept active though administratively until this year. He was an integral part of the deptartment's budget and dealings with they city to add new equipment and fire trucks. He has also been there to capture thousands of fire's, car accidents and rescues on camera for training use.

Every year there is an installation of the new officers' dinner and awards ceremony. We were all invited to it, along with all honorary members of the department. Scott Burger is the chief and he kept saying he was going to roast my dad. I would have loved that! But, instead he gave a very emotional speech about my dad's 30 years of service and presented him with a very nice award.

I can remember since I was a little girl, my dad running out of the house to go on rescue calls. Or leaving town in the car and him turning back, racing to get to the station to go on a fire. I spent my whole life asking him about the calls he went on. I had the 7:00 test pager tones memorized. That is why when I turned 19, I followed in his footsteps and I joined and was active for almost 5 years. I moved to Des Moines though and had to get out of it. I joined because of him and I loved every second of it.

So, he deserved the standing ovation he got. I really don't think he was ready to retire, but he had to because of his medical reasons. I am sure that Scott Burger will still find stuff for him to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter