Friday, June 5, 2009

YES!!!

We got to RML about 6 oclock today. Dad was very happy to see us and smiled when we came in. He has been weaning for 32 HOURS!!! He is still going strong. He is very alert and is responding to our questions. When I asked him how long he had been weaning, he mouthed "over 24." It took me a second to figure out what he said but he said it!! When I asked the respiratory therapist how long he had been off he said 32 hours!

I saw a note on the dry erase board that the therapist wrote on 6/1 :

Speaking valve eval ~10 minutes! I heard his voice! Will try again to increase time!

That is a good step! This means closer to being off the vent, closer to rehab and closer to talking. It will still be a long arduous process but he is getting there.

His right temple seems to be sunken in which looks odd. No one here seems to care but I mentioned it to Dr. Lopes in a quick note to him. They did a head CT yesterday, so I think if its anything to worry about, he will see it on the scan.

I think we will know next week if we get to go to Waterloo. :) I read him some notes and letters tonight. He was very happy to hear about the free ice cream for life from the gal in Ankeny he used to work with, he shook his head up and down vigorously.

I think we are about to pack up and go find the hotel. Im sleepy and I want dad to settle in and make it through the night off the vent.

I will play him all the music we put together tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Jim - GREAT REPORT! Keep up the good fight. You are stonger than they know. By the way, I had a sister-in-law in rehab in Waterloo. It is a great place. They do wonders for people and their families. Sometimes we do not know why we have to go through tough times; however, I can assure you from my past tough times, I am always stronger when I get through it. You are continually in our thoughts and prayers.

    Dan & Nancy Ritchie

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter