Thursday, August 27, 2009

Update From Martha

(Martha sent this to us via email last night. I think she is back home now and his sister Debbie is there. Coleman and I are going up Saturday morning. We are bringing the camper and camping at a place in Oelwein. 15 bucks for an electric site is SO much better then 70 for a hotel. Plus, we really haven't gotten to camp this year.)

He did not wake up very much on Tuesday. Would squeeze my hand, but that is about all. He was more alert today and they set him up in a chair for a few hours. He also had Heather as his RT. She deflated the balloon on his cuff and I was able to hear his voice. She had to put some air back in, but they are going to work on him talking. She said by deflating the balloon it was forcing air up and causing a tickle in his throat and made him cough.

I met his doctor yesterday and had a long conversation. He is there the last Tuesday of each month, so I will definitely be there on those days. Had to go through the short version of his history. After the exam, we talked. He is going to taper him off the Keppra. I had told him he hadn't had a seizure and the last time he was on it, he was off of it within 6-8 weeks. He said for some people, Keppra might sedate them, so who knows maybe he will wake up more.

He is also going to taper him off the blood thinner. He has already been switched to Lovenox as the insurance would not cover the heparin and it isn't cheap. He said long term use of blood thinners can cause other problems.. Also discussed the bed sore. Wanted to know what was done on it previously. He had the wound nurse come and check it out, but he never told me anything, but I did hear him (the nurse) telling the nurses different orders.

Discussed CT scans - since the last 2 have shown a shrinkage of the spots in the brain, we aren't going to have more done unless there is a need for them. Your dad would have to be transported to a hospital and I don't see a need to have it done on a monthly basis. I also told him I didn't understand why they weren't checking the other places where they know the fungus was when he was getting the previous scans. He agreed. He will let me know if he thinks there is a need for them, otherwise we are done on scans.

When I getting ready to leave today, 2 aids came in and put the bed down to a 30 degree angle and I asked about the feeding tube. Said it wasn't necessary if they didn't go below that level. So, I stopped at the nurses station and requested that anytime the bed is lowered - no matter how much - I wanted the feedings to be stopped. There were 4 nurses there and the one who I think was in charge this afternoon agreed and said they would put the word out. Also had the doctor take the orders off for the latex allergy. Not sure how long that will last, but thought it was worth a try. The doctor is also going to change his insulin to Lantis. His blood sugars are up and down and nothing changes.

Liza - there is a brew and barbeque festival in Independence this weekend. Not sure what it means, but it sounds like a big event.

Scott = I ate at Luigie's last night and it is good. Kind of reminded me of Amadeo's - but more lit up. Had the 1/4 broasted chicken and it came with a trip to the salad bar and choice of potatoes (hash browns were good). The local phone book has the menu in it. Very reasonable on price.

Yesterday there was 1 horse and buggy in the lot and today there were 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter