Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day

This weekend starts the Memorial Day festivities. I plan on camping with some friends tonight and tomorrow. Monday will actually mark the first time I have ever actually memorialized Memorial day doing something other than relaxing or hanging out. I usually let the patriarch of our family do the cemetery rounds for me...but now he isn't here to do it.

He is here:


Dad wasn't in any serious war, although he was enlisted during Vietnam. He was hiding in Newfoundland...by order of the US Navy. He spent some time in Morocco participating in a 7 day war that was in the ocean while he sat behind a radio desk on land.

Even though he didn't risk his life fighting any battle, or getting shot at by enemy fire, he managed to stay alive from dysentery and malaria (so he says). Dysentery and malaria were probably the names of the women he was hanging out boozing it up with. But aside from that, dad, I salute you. You will always be my hero.

Miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter